It’s amazing what one parent can do! Stamford’s Parent Leadership Training Institute Design Team in partnership with the Stamford Public Education Foundation is pleased to offer several free opportunities for parents, grandparents, guardians and others to become leaders and advocates for children.
- The Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) is a program for participants to become advocates for children through a community-building retreat; a 9 week instructional course on community, personal development, and parent leadership; and a 9 week civics course. Through PLTI, participants practice communication, public speaking, and media advocacy skills; understand budgets, policy, and laws that effect children; learn how to work in political systems; and complete a culminating community project. The training is offered in English, and dinner and transportation are provided.
- A complement to the PLTI program, the Children’s Leadership Training Institute (CLTI) aims to enrich the power of children ages 5-12 to become change agents and assume leadership roles while increasing their capacity to develop and implement projects that will impact the community and foster continued community service. The 18-week literacy based curriculum parallels the PLTI program, so children are learning the same concepts as their parents, and each week children go home with a free book.
- People Empowering People (UCONN PEP) is a 10 week program for adults that emphasizes the connection between individuals and community action. The curriculum focuses on values, communication, life skills, problem-solving, parenting, and developing leadership skills. The program is offered in Spanish, and dinner and transportation are provided.
- A complement to the PEP program, Children’s People Empowering People (CPEP) aims to enrich the power of children ages 5-12 to assume leadership roles in order to foster community action. This is done through a 10 week literacy based curriculum that parallels the adult PEP program. Each week, children go home with a free book to build their home library and reinforce what was learned in class with their parents. CPEP is offered in English.
- Parents Supporting Educational Excellence (PSEE) is a 13 week program that provides participants with strategies and tools in order to partner with schools and improve education for all children. The curriculum focuses on the topics of Leadership, Change, Educational Policies and Partnering and school leaders attend as guests to facilitate dialogue and policy partnerships. The program is offered in English. Childcare, dinner and transportation are provided.
Candidates for all programs are selected from a pool of diverse applicants. Classes are typically held on Thursday evenings at the Stamford Government Center. Please contact Regan Allan at
203-977-5829 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out what programs are available now.
Candidates will be selected from a pool of diverse applicants. PLTI and PEP alumni are welcome to apply. The program is free; your contribution is your time and commitment. Family dinner will be provided starting at 5:30 pm and classes run from 6pm to 9pm. Childcare and transportation are available as needed. The training will be offered only in English.
For more information and to apply, click on the links below:
For any questions, contact: Regan Allan, PLTI Coordinator 203-977-5829 or email@example.com.