STAMFORD, CT – September 14, 2017 – Two of Fairfield County’s non-profit agencies, the Stamford Public Education Foundation (SPEF) and MarcUS for Change, are collaborating to present US Day 2017 on Sunday, October 1st, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., at Mill River Park in Stamford, CT. SPEF and MarcUS for Change will be joined by this year’s honorary chair, Sandy Goldstein of the Downtown Stamford Special Services District, and other community organizations in celebrating the rich diversity of Stamford’s youth and families.
The kick-off event for US Day 2017 is the 5th Annual MarcUS for Change 5K Walk & Run which celebrates the memory of Marcus Dixon McInerney, a Stamford High School graduate who overcame many life challenges to attend West Point Academy before his life ended tragically in 2012. The 5K begins at 9:00 a.m. and Stamford cheerleaders and SPEF’s polar bear mascot, SPEFy, will be on hand to welcome the participants at the finish line.
Rose McInerney, co-founder of MarcUS for Change, noted, “Together we are changing the conversation by moving people to hope and action at a time when many feel powerless and fearful about our nation’s future. SPEF is a great resource for the community, serving kids and families by changing lives and building futures.”
Highlights of US Day 2017 include:
- 8:30: Welcome by Jenna Hanchard (Reporter, KING 5 Seattle) and Pre-Run Stretch from Upper Deck Fitness
- 8:45: National Anthem by Stamford native Angelica Salem and Tribute to Marcus from Barry McInerney
- 9:00: MarcUS for Change 5K Walk & Run
- 10:00: 5K Awards Presentation by Sandy Goldstein and Earl Kim, Superintendent of Stamford Public Schools; Kids Zone Activities, sponsored by Kids Helping Kids, which includes Jumpy Castle, Face Painting, Caring Cards, and Pumpkin Painting; Food Trucks (Kona Ice and Magee’s Curbside); Animals from the Stamford Museum and Nature Center
- 10:15: Obstacle Course for Kids presented by Chelsea Piers Athletic Club and Free Carousel Rides begin
- 10:30: Performance by Pop Music Academy
- 11:00: International Dance Festival, presented by the Mayor’s Multicultural Council
- 12:15: Mayor David Martin leads the Multicultural Parade
US Day 2017 includes a showcase of over 25 diverse community organizations that focus on helping Stamford youth achieve healthy personal, academic, social and career-ready skills for success.
Top-Tier Sponsors for the 5th Annual MarcUS for Change 5K include: AXA Investment Managers, Canida Family, PwC, First County Bank, Phillips Family Foundation, Berkowitz and Hanna, DiRusso Brooks Law Group, Nagi Jewlers, Harbor Point, Selkowitz Family Foundation, VCA Davis Animal Hospital, Fred and Eileen Springer, Thomas and Patti Gawlak, Downtown Special Services District, Dental Care Kids, Enochs Family, Michael and Laurel Schnitman, Mackey & Guasco Staffing, Bobby Valentine’s Sports Academy.