STAMFORD, CT, September 16, 2016 – Two of Fairfield County’s non-profit agencies, the Stamford Public Education Foundation (SPEF) and MarcUS for Change, are collaborating to present US Day 2016 on Sunday, September 18, from 8:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., at Mill River Park in Stamford, CT, rain or shine. This event celebrates the rich diversity of Stamford youth and their families by offering a wide variety of family-centered entertainment.
The kick-off event for US Day 2016 is the 4th Annual MarcUS for Change 5K Walk & Run; the course is certified by the USA Track & Field. The 5K celebrates the life of Marcus Dixon McInerney, a young Stamford High School graduate who overcame many life challenges and went on to attend West Point Academy before his life ended tragically in 2012. As in past year, the Stamford High School Football team will be running to honor Marcus. Stamford Cheerleaders and SPEF’s polar bear mascot SPEFy will be on hand to welcome the runners and walkers at the finish line.
Rose McInerney, co-founder of MarcUS for Change, noted, “Together we are changing the conversation by moving people to hope and action at a time when many feel powerless and fearful about our nation’s future. SPEF is the real deal, serving kids and families by changing lives and building futures.”
Highlights of US Day 2016 include:
• 8:30: Welcome By Jenna Hanchard (Reporter, KING 5 Seattle) and Pre-Run Stretch from Upper Deck Fitness
• 8:45: National Anthem by Stamford native Angelica Salem and Tribute to Marcus from Barry McInerney
• 9:00: Marcus For Change 5K Walk & Run
• 10:00: 5K Awards Presentation by Senator Carlo Leone and Earl Kim, Superintendent of Stamford Schools
• 10:15: Obstacle Course for Kids presented by Chelsea Piers Athletic Club
• Kids Zone Activities, sponsored by Kids Helping Kids, which includes a Jumpy Castle, Face Painting, Wristbands, Caring Cards, Pumpkin Painting, and Peace Putty
• 10:30: Performance from Pop Music Academy
• 11:00: Mayor David Martin leads the Multicultural Parade, with an International Dance Festival to follow, all sponsored by the Mayor’s Multicultural Council
US Day 2016 includes a showcase of diverse community organizations that focus on helping the Stamford youth achieve healthy personal, academic, social and career-ready skills for success.
Top-Tier Sponsors for the 4th Annual MarcUS for Change 5k include: MarcUS For Change Foundation, The Canida Family, PWC, First County Bank, The Sen Family, The Berkowitz Law Firm, DiRusso Brooks Law Group, NAGI Jewelers, and the Phillips Family Foundation, Gen Re, The Hajdukiewicz Family, Harbor Point, The O’Halloran Family, The Ryan Family, Selkowitz Family Foundation, Fred & Eileen Springer, VCA Davis Animal Hospital, Stephen Verses Property Services, Serendipity magazine, Hey Stamford and 1400 WSTC radio.